Bison Stuffed Eggplant
½ cup brown rice
1 ¼ cups water
2 medium eggplants
2 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 package Blue Ribbon Foods ground bison
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala,
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Directions:1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Bring rice and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from the heat.
3. Cut eggplants in half lengthwise and score the cut sides in a deep criss-cross pattern, almost to but not cutting through the skin. Brush the cut sides generously with oil, and then brush the skin sides lightly with oil. Place the eggplants cut-side down on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip the eggplants and bake an additional 15 minutes. Remove and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
4. Meanwhile, make the filling: Heat the remaining 0.5 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add onion. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add bison, paprika, cumin, coriander, turmeric, garam masala and cayenne pepper. Cook for approximately 6 minutes, stirring and breaking up the bison and ensuring it is coated with spices and no longer pink.. Stir in tomato paste. Remove from heat.
5. When the eggplants are cool enough to handle, scoop out center, leaving a 1/4- to 1/2-inch layer of eggplant attached to the skin. Coarsely chop the scooped-out eggplant and add to the meat mixture. Stir until well combined. Stir in the cooked rice and season with the remaining salt and pepper. Stuff each eggplant half with equal amounts of the filling.
6. Return the stuffed eggplant to the baking sheet. Bake until heated through, about 10 minutes.
Haven't tried our mouthwatering gourmet food, yet? CLICK HERE to get a FREE SAMPLE. To stay up to date with the latest articles and tips from Blue Ribbon Foods, please connect with us on Twitter and Facebook!