This time of year often calls for hearty, savory dishes that make your mouth water. It’s possible to enjoy these flavors while keeping options light and healthy. This dish uses a combination of pork sausage and lean ground turkey to provide the sensation of eating sausage while reducing the sodium and fat. Instead of being smothered with melted cheese, the peppers are topped with a colorful salsa that contains beans for fiber and extra protein, as well as Castelvetrano olives that provide a crunchy bite, fruity flavor, and a burst of bright green. Olives are a good source of monounsaturated fats. This dish will add some red and green to your dining table, as well as protein, fiber, vitamin C, lycopene and heart healthy fats.
16 ounces Blue Ribbon lean ground turkey
3 links Blue Ribbon pork sausage, removed from casing
1 yellow onion, diced
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. fennel seeds
1 tsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
3 red bell peppers
3 green bell peppers
1 pint cherry tomatoes
¼ cup diced red onion
¼ cup finely diced green bell pepper
¼ cup finely diced red bell pepper
1 cup cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp. finely minced basil
3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
15 Castelvetrano olives (any green olives will work), fined diced
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Sauté onions and garlic with 1 tsp. olive oil or cooking spray in a nonstick pan. Add ground turkey and sausage until onions and translucent and turkey is no longer pink. Add spices.
2. Combine salsa ingredients and let sit in refrigerator at least 30 minutes (overnight is recommended).
3. Broil peppers on each side for 1-2 minutes. Add turkey mixture to peppers and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until peppers are slightly softened.
4. Top each pepper with a spoonful of salsa and enjoy!
Arroz con Pollo, simple and satisfying!
Total Number of Servings: 4
Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
4 bone-in chicken breasts
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ cup onion, diced
½ cup green pepper, diced
½ cup red pepper, diced
2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups low-sodium tomato sauce
¼ cup lime juice
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. turmeric
1 Tbsp. oregano
2 cup brown rice
1 package mixed vegetables
1. Add chicken breasts to a pan on the stovetop and cook over medium high heat for about 4 minutes per side, just long enough to brown the outside.
2. Transfer chicken to your slow cooker and add remaining ingredients.
3. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours.
A delicious flavor departure from your customary shrimp and cocktail sauce.
Total Number of Servings: 6
Serving Size: approximately ½ cup
¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
¼ cup onion, chopped
1 cup celery, finely chopped
½ cup white wine vinegar
½ cup olive oil
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
Black pepper to taste
1 ½ pound shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator, covered, for at least 6 hours. Drain and discard the marinade. Serve cold.
Summer is a great time to throw all kinds of things on the grill! Never tried grilled avocado? Give it a whirl!
1. Cut avocados in half and remove pits.
2. Brush each half with a good dose of olive oil.
3. Place on grill face down (inside of avocado toward the heat, leave the skin on and facing up).
4. Grill for about 5 minutes at medium high heat.
5. Remove from grill, scoop out the avocado, add salt.
*Can be enjoyed all by itself, on top of bread, with eggs, on a salad, anywhere really!
A flavorful twist on traditional coleslaw.
Total Number of Servings- 6-8
Serving Size: ½-1 c
Prep: 15 min.
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 chopped garlic cloves
1 tbsp. Sriracha chili sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
3 carrots, peeled and shredded
1 medium head green cabbage, shredded
1 bell pepper sliced thin
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper
Combine lime juice, cumin, garlic cloves, chili sauce, olive oil in bowel then toss in all vegetables, herbs and season with salt and pepper before serving.