Stuffed Acorn Squash
1/2 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
3 small acorn squash, halved and seeded
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped sweet or yellow onion
2 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/4 cup dried cranberries
4 oz frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained)
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
1 lb. ground turkey breast
4 heaping teaspoons fine gluten-free breadcrumbs
4 heaping teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Combine the quinoa and water in a small pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, till water absorbs approx. 10-15 min. Stir every few minutes. You want it to cook up like rice.
2. Meanwhile, coat insides of the acorn squash halves lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place face down on a large microwave-safe dish. Cover and cook for 16 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
3. While squash is cooking, brown ground turkey in a large heavy pan over medium heat with olive oil. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes, until tender. Add the garlic and cranberries and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the spinach and cook, stirring often, until wilted, 2 minutes. Add the vinegar and sugar, stir, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. While the quinoa is cooking, preheat the broiler on high.
4. Once the quinoa is cooked, fluff it lightly with a fork. Combine 1 cup of the quinoa with the spinach mixture and toss.
5. Put the squash halves cut side up in a broiler-safe pan or on a rimmed baking tray. Divide the filling evenly among the squash halves, mounding it slightly. Top each squash half with 1 heaping teaspoon breadcrumbs and dot each with 1 heaping teaspoon buttery spread. Broil 8 inches from the heat source for 4 to 5 minutes, until browned.
Haven't tried our mouthwatering gourmet food, yet? CLICK HERE to get a FREE SAMPLE. To stay up to date with the latest articles and tips from Blue Ribbon Foods, please connect with us on Twitter and Facebook!