The “How To” on Filling up an Empty Fridge
By Dana Yarn, RDLD
Looking to start a new nutrition plan and ready to clean out your fridge and re-stock with only healthy foods? Having a clean fridge loaded with healthy foods that are easy to cook with and grab is essential to success. Here are a few simple tips to get your started.
I have had the shop from home food service for almost 7 years so 70% of my veggies and fruits are frozen, this makes life easy when I have not planned dinner out. When it comes to the fresh stuff only buy what I know what I am going to eat. Here is an example of my weekly fresh produce list at the store. I try to avoid waste, only buy what you need!
- 3 fruits (watermelon, apples, grapes...)
- 4-5 vegetables (bags of salad, zucchini, carrots, onion, peppers, etc....)
- 1-2 bags of nuts for snacks (walnuts, pecans, almonds, etc.)
- Produce section dips like hummus, salsa, and guacamole, you need something to dip all those veggies in!
The food service allows me to have 95% my meat, poultry and fish accessible in my freezer, to be honest this is the number one reason I joined the service- convenience! We have certified all natural salmon, tilapia, tuna, steaks, ground beef, pork tenderloin, chicken breast, roast, and hamburger patties to name a few stocked in our freezer. I occasionally buy some nitrate free bacon, sausage or cold cuts in addition to the meats that I already have stocked.
Dairy & Non Dairy Products:
- Greek or coconut yogurt as snacks
- Grass fed butter to cook with
- Cottage cheese for meals and snacks
- Unsweetened almond or coconut milk for shakes and to cook with
- Full fat cheese (slices and shredded) for recipes
- Cage free eggs for breakfast and to cook with
- Oil and vinegar based salad dressings as marinades and for salads
- All natural ice cream (non-dairy coconut milk ice cream is my favorite!)
Stock up your fridge and freezer with these basics and you will be on your way to a healthier lifestyle!
Haven't tried our mouthwatering gourmet food, yet? CLICK HERE to get a FREE SAMPLE. To stay up to date with the latest articles and tips from Blue Ribbon Foods, please connect with us on Twitter and Facebook!